Why the Redwood Forest slideshow?

Judy had always loved trees, and in 2008 we spent some time among the California Redwoods. Some of the ingredients in Judy's chemo cocktail were derived from trees (not Redwoods but Yews). We always knew that Judy loved the trees, and the trees got their chance to repay her affection.



Thursday, July 29, 2010

Surgery appears to be successful!


I just got the word from Judy's sis-in-law that it appears that this afternoon's surgery was successful! Candice (in the above photo with Judy pre-op) said that Judy was for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours in surgery this afternoon. According to her surgeon and oncologist, Dr. Phillips, there were various "adhesions" and scar tissue in the area of her small intestine. According to what I was told, Dr. Phillips bypassed some of these sections of bowel, deciding to keep them in place to help in the absorption of nutrition but also making it possible for digesting materials to pass through. I haven't seen the diagram that he drew, nor am I totally sure what exactly he did, but one thing is for sure: Judy apparently didn't lose too much blood (he didn't mention a transfusion), she is NOT in ICU but will return to her room, the doc said that she appeared to fare well during surgery, and probably one of the most dreaded things didn't happen: She will no wake up with a colostomy bag. That possibility was brought to the forefront yesterday when she signed her consent forms. So no, NO colostomy!

I am updating the blog from the Admiral's club in DFW, on the way to Chicago. Let me plug American Airlines really, really big here: The staff in Lubbock refunded Judy's ticket not only for today but also for the trip to Seattle in two weeks, without the customary fees! And not only that, they changed my return from Chicago from Monday to Sunday, no fees or hassles. I tell you, that's customer service, and that's why we've been flying this airline for more than 25 years! In a time of such great stress they did everything they could to minimize our troubles. Thanks, AA!

And thanks to Candice and Becky O., who made me feel comfortable today while waiting with Judy in the hospital for her to be wheeled into the OR. I can't express how much I appreciate their understanding and support and help.

I may or may not update once again tonight, once I get to the hotel in Chicago. To all of Judy's friends and supporters out there: Please send whatever it is that you are good at sending--thoughts, prayers, vibes, mainly love.

Jürgen

No comments: